Hair transplants can add coverage and encourage confidence. With so many different techniques available it may be hard to choose which method best suits you. Today we are going to discuss one hair transplant option that does not require sacrificing the length of your hair.
FUE is a popular technique that is used during hair transplant surgeries. During this technique hair is removed from the scalp using punches or automated devices1,2. These grafts are then inserted in desired recipient sites in the scalp, for example the hairline, the anterior one-third of the scalp, or the crown area. This technique is popular because it may create tiny white scars that are less noticeable as compared to other alternative methods (e.g., strip harvesting)3. The minimal scarring and seamlessness of FUE can be a great option for those who want to adjust their thinning hairline. Individuals who prefer shorter hairstyles also benefit from the minimal scarring as these little white scars are rarely noticeable without close examination.
Shaving prior to surgery is usually a necessary part of FUE4. Depending on the number of grafts desired, the whole scalp donor area might need to be shaved. This presents a problem for those that want to keep their long hair. Non-shaven FUE (NSFUE)–style hair transplants is a technique where only the minimal amount of shaving is done4. The donor area is chosen based on its location underneath a layer of hair that can fully cover the affected patch when styled appropriately. The main steps of NSFUE include cutting the donor hair short then punching the hair follicles out5. These follicles are then implanted in a similar fashion as FUE, increasing coverage in thinning areas.
With no need to shave and no linear scar, NSFUE is a great technique6. Women and men with long hair are great candidates as they can cover the donor area with ease4. This technique is also beneficial for those that are hesitant about the procedure. NSFUE can allow you to see how the scar will be concealed prior to surgery4. Tailored hair systems, an alternative option for those that have shorter hair, can also help conceal your donor area while it grows back.
With advancing techniques, noticeable donor areas might be history!
Article by: Sarah Versteeg MSc, Mediprobe Research Inc.
- Dua A, Dua K. Follicular unit extraction hair transplant. J Cutan Aesthetic Surg. 2010 May;3(2):76–81.
- Rashid RM. Follicular unit extraction with the Artas robotic hair transplant system system: an evaluation of FUE yield. Dermatol Online J. 2014;20(4):22341.
- Avram MR, Watkins SA. Robotic follicular unit extraction in hair transplantation. Dermatol Surg Off Publ Am Soc Dermatol Surg Al. 2014 Dec;40(12):1319–27.
- Cole J, Insalaco C. State-of-the-Art FUE: Advanced Non-Shaven Technique. Hair Transpl Forum Int. 2014;24(Sept/Oct):161, 166–9.
- Park J. Direct Non-shaven FUE Technique. Hair Transpl Forum Int. 2014;24(May/Jun):103–4.
- Knudsen R. The Challenge of FUE in Women. Hair Transpl Forum Int. 2014;24(Jul/Aug):150.