2023 Hair Transplant Guide, Expectations, Results, Costs.
Welcome to the 2023 edition of Sure Hair International’s ultimate guide to a hair transplant. The guide was created to answer all your questions about hair transplant surgery and is based on data collected on thousands of patients over our 25 years of operation at our clinic in Toronto, Canada.
Hair Transplant Cost: facts at a glance
- The cost of a hair transplant can range by up to 400% across Canada, depending on your location, i.e., $4000 to $16000.
- Our average hair transplant session of 2500 – 3000 grafts typically costs $8,000 – $11,000 for our clients.
- Your individual cost can vary based on five main factors.
- Our guide will explain the five factors and show you how to approximate your own costs.
- If you would like a price quote from an experienced doctor, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
- Financing Options, we have included a few financing examples and where to apply in Canada for medical financing.
- If you are interested in an excellent discount, check out our current Spring special.
Before and After Client Video
Five hair Transplant cost factors
- Location of hair transplant clinic
- Choice of FUT or FUE surgical procedure
- Price per hair graft
- Number of grafts required
- Clinic Session Fee or Fee Structure
How does the clinic’s location affect the cost?
As we’ve mentioned, the cost of a hair transplant in Canada can vary up to 400% based on location and the physician’s experience. Hair transplant services, like any other business, are subject to local market forces.
When fewer clinics or doctors provide the service in a given area, the cost per graft is generally higher. Conversely, if more clinics offer the service in a given area, intra-clinic competition tends to lower the price per graft while quality remains high.
What is the Average Cost per Graft in Canada?
Across Canada, the per/graft price can range by as much as 400%, from as low as $3.00 per/graft to as high as $12.00 per/graft, depending on the clinic, its location and the experience level of the doctor/surgical team.
What is the Average Cost Per Graft in the GTA?
In the greater Toronto area, the price per hair graft ranges from $3.50 per/graft to $7.00 per/graft, with the average being $5.50 per/graft. Our price per graft here at Surehair International is $4.00 per/graft.
Calculating your hair transplant cost
The equation is relatively simple; you multiply the price per graft by the estimated total number of grafts required, there are two examples below. We will also show you how to approximate the number of grafts you will need.
How much is 2000 hair grafts?
Based on a $4.00 per/graft price, 2000 hair grafts would cost approximately $8,000
- $4.00(our per graft price) * 2000(number of grafts needed) = $8,000.00
How much is 4000 hair grafts?
Based on a $4.00 per/graft price, 4000 hair grafts would cost approximately $16,000
- $4.00(our per graft price) * 4000(number of grafts needed) = $16,000.00
The equation is relatively simple; you multiply the price per graft by the estimated total number of grafts required.
How many grafts will I need?
Most people don’t know how many grafts they’ll need because they don’t know how many transplanted hair grafts it takes to fill a given area of hair loss or thinning hair to achieve full healthy hair growth. The right answer is not exactly the same for everyone and ranges from 1,200 – 1,500.
Approximating The Number of hair grafts, You’ll Need
An area of hair loss that is the size of your fist generally requires 1,200 – 1,500 donor hair grafts, each containing at least one hair follicle to fill depending on your hair calibre, angulation, and other characteristics, i.e., straight, wavy, or curly.
Calculating Your Total Hair Transplant Cost
Using this rule of thumb, you should be able to approximate how many grafts you will need within a reasonable margin of error. Do you have a hair loss area of one fist, two fists, or more? Multiply the number of fists by 1350 (average healthy hair follicle density) to get a good approximation of the number of grafts you’ll need, then multiply the number of grafts needed by the per/graft price. Sure Hair International charges an average of $4.00 per graft.
How many surgical sessions will you need?
Most of the time, only one hair transplant procedure is needed.
However, in cases with more advanced stages of hair loss, on the Norwood scale for male pattern baldness of 4.5 or above will often require more than one session.
Breaking up your total hair restoration into two sessions can also help you financially.
Cost of FUE vs FUT
Which hair transplantation procedure will you choose?
Will you have a Follicular Unit Extraction, also referred to as an FUE procedure? Or will you have a Follicular Unit Transplant, also referred to as the FUT procedure?
FUE is much more labour-intensive than FUT. Although both are types of hair transplantation and can also be classified as facial plastic surgery, the cost per graft for an FUE hair transplant surgery can be more expensive compared to FUT hair transplant surgery. FUE can cost approximately 30% – 40% more than FUT because extracting donor hair from the patient donor area is much more labour-intensive for the plastic surgeon or hair transplant surgeon and his team.
The obvious advantage of FUT over an FUE is cost. However, there is another advantage, the number of grafts that can be harvested from FUE vs FUT can be quite different. FUT will generally yield proportionally more hair grafts than FUE.
Therefore, if you have a relatively large area of hair loss, one FUT session might be the most cost-effective option as it will give you more grafts in one session, getting you closer to a full head of hair more efficiently.
Where To Apply For Medical Financing?
For many individuals, financing a surgical hair restoration procedure has been a hurdle that frequently stops them from making the decision to move forward.
Medical financing will reduce “upfront” costs to zero or nearly zero. It’s relatively easy to qualify for medical financing, and payments can be as low as $119.00 – $169.00 per month, depending upon the amount your finance and the repayment terms.
Medicard has been proudly helping Canadians turn their hair restoration dreams into reality by offering simple and affordable financing solutions since 1996, visit our medical financing page if you would like to learn more about Medicard’s medical financing.
Does insurance cover hair transplants?
For most candidates, hair transplant surgery is an elective surgery, which means the costs must be covered by the patient and not by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP); most private health insurance plans also do not cover the costs for any type of cosmetic surgery such as hair implants, hair plugs, Neograft hair restoration, tummy tuck or breast augmentation, the costs must be covered by the patient.
The only exception is when the procedure is part of reconstructive surgery from an accidental injury or disfigurement that could potentially be covered under some medical insurance plans, including OHIP.
Suehair’s Director and Doctor of Hair Transplantation
Sure Hair International’s doctor and Medical Director is Dr A. K. Gupta MD, PhD, MBA, MBA/HCM, MA (Cantab), DABHRS, DABD, FISHRS, FAAD, FAACS, FRCP(C)
There are very few individuals with as much experience, training and international certification when it comes to the art and science of surgical hair restoration. Dr Gupta is one of only four Canadian doctors who is both a Diplomat of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons (DABHRS) and a Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons (FISHRS).
- Diplomat of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons
- Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons
- Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Member of the American Society for Dermatological Surgery
- Only Canadian Oral & Written Examiner for the prestigious ABHRS
- Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
- Over 700 peer-reviewed articles on the subject of hair and skin published
- Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Researcher at the NIH (National Institute of Health)
- A clinical trial investigator with 8 clinical trials completed
- One of only 4 Canadian doctors to achieve the ABHRS and FISHRS designations.
- Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
- Take the first step today. Simply fill out the Online Consultation Form to get a no-cost, no-obligation hair loss consultation with a legitimate multi-board certified hair restoration expert.
- You can also schedule a photo consultation via phone if you can’t make it in person.
Your Consultation Will Provide You With:
- A Personalized hair transplant cost estimate for treatment.
- An opportunity to have all your hair loss questions answered by Dr A. K. Gupta
- An opportunity to learn about the latest hair loss options
- Easy Financing Options – if you prefer to finance, let us show you the best options.
- A Personalized Future Hair loss assessment and diagnosis.
- An Opportunity to take advantage of our limited time specialwhile supplies last*