- Welcome to the 2020 edition of Sure Hair International’s Hair Transplant Toronto Guide.
- The guide is based on more then 30 years of clinical data and is designed to answer all of your questions about hair transplantation quickly and completely.
How much is a hair transplant in Toronto?
The cost of hair transplantation in Toronto is approximately $3,500 to cover a small area and can go as high as $17,000 for a much larger FUE session.
We understand that is quite a large range, but unfortunately, the cost fluctuates on a case by case basis, however, we have provided a method below that will allow you to calculate quite accurately what it should cost in your particular case.
Before and After Hair Transplant Client Video
- Below we have sorted some of our client videos by price range to help you get a better idea of what your hair loss may most closely resemble. Please note the price range below does include any potential Online discount but does not include applicable taxes.
- Read our customer hair transplant reviews page to read what a few of our past clients have said about our services.
- If you are interested in getting a free hair transplant consultation and personalized price quote please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Top 5 Factors affecting the cost of your hair transplant
- Location of hair transplant centre
- Choice of FUE or FUT Hair Transplant Procedure
- Number of hair transplant grafts required
- Number of sessions required
- Clinic Session Fee or Fee Structure
How many Hair Transplant grafts do I need?
If you are like most people you probably don’t know how many grafts you’ll need because you don’t know how many grafts it takes to fill a given area of thin or balding scalp, and the right answer is not the same for everyone.
To help you estimate how many grafts you will likely need you may use the following ” rule of thumb” to get a relatively accurate self-assessment.
Calculating The Number of Hair Transplants Grafts You’ll Need
Areas of hair loss that are about the size of your fist generally require 1,200 – 1,500 hair transplant grafts to fill depending on the calibre of your hair.
Using this rule of thumb, you should be able to estimate how many grafts you may need within a reasonable margin of error. Do you have a balding area of one fist, two fists, or more?
What is the average Cost per Graft in Canada?
Across Canada, the per/graft price can range by as much as 400%, from as low as $3.00 per/graft to as high as $12.00 per/graft depending on the clinic and its location.
Some areas in Canada, especially rural areas which are underserved, or areas that have extremely strict requirements for hair transplant clinics are poorly served therefore pushing the price per graft up significantly, by as much as 400%.
What is the Average Cost Per Graft in Toronto
In the Greater Toronto Area the price range is much tighter and the price per hair transplant graft in the GTA varies from $3.50 per/graft to $8.00 per/graft, with the average in Toronto being $5.50 per/graft.
Estimating The Cost of Your Own Hair Transplant
You multiply the cost per graft by the number of grafts needed.
How much is 2000 hair grafts?
Based on a $4.00 per/graft price 2000 hair grafts would cost approximately $8,000
- $4.00(our per graft price) * 2000(number of grafts needed) = $8,000.00
How much is 4000 hair grafts?
Based on a $4.00 per/graft price 4000 hair grafts would cost approximately $16,000
- $4.00(our per graft price) * 4000(number of grafts needed) = $16,000.00
At Sure Hair International we normally charge $4.00 per/hair transplant graft while providing absolutely world-class results second to none provided by a surgical hair restoration team with over 100 years of combined hair transplantation experience!
Why Choose Sure Hair International For Your Hair Transplant?
At Sure Hair International hair is all we do! Allowing us to focus exclusively on perfecting every aspect of the art and science of hair transplantation, while simultaneously allowing our clients to also reap the cost savings benefits of our incredibly effective and efficient surgical techniques and technology, which have taken hundreds of thousands of work hours and more than a generation to innovate and perfect.
Sign up for a free consultation below and experience first-hand the incredibly natural transformations we are able to create for our clients, we guarantee you will not find a better-looking hair transplant in Canada, at any price!
How many hair transplant procedures will you need?
Most of the time only one hair transplant procedure is needed.
In some cases, particularly those in the more advanced stages of hair loss, a 4.5 or above on the Norwood scale will usually require more than one session.
Based on the number of grafts that may be required, some clinics may prefer more than one session because you may require more grafts than they can extract or produce in one session.
Breaking up the hair transplantation into sessions can also help you financially.
How Many Grafts in a Typical Hair Transplant Procedure?
The number of grafts per session is dependent on the clinic or doctor you choose. Many clinics routinely transplant 1,500 – 3,000 grafts per session. Three thousand grafts can be suitable for most patients who are at four or less on the Norwood scale. The clinics that can produce higher grafts per session are usually more established and experienced as they have access to greater resources, expertise and a larger staff.
As a general rule, unless you have an extremely pertinent reason for wanting more than 3000 – 4000 Grafts in a single session, then it is generally safer and advisable to err on the side of caution and break it up into two or more sessions.
Hair Transplant Session Fee
Additionally, it is also common industry practice to include a “session fee” in the overall hair transplant price as well. The “session fee” is generally used to cover the cost of medications, use of the equipment and other associated operating theatre expenses during the time you spend in the operating room for your surgery.
The typical hair transplant session fee ranges from $300 to $500 dollars so while it will affect the cost of your hair transplant it is not one of the most significant factors affecting cost.
Location of Clinic Affect on Hair Transplant Cost
The location of the hair transplant clinic and the number of competing clinics in the area will also significantly affect the cost. A hair transplant in Toronto as compared to a hair transplant in Ottawa, there is an average of 200% – 300% price difference in the cost per hair transplant graft between the two regions, your hair transplant will cost on average twice as much in Ottawa because there is a much more limited “supply” of doctors and clinics in the area relative to the population, conversely there is approximately 500% more supply of hair transplant clinics and doctors available in Toronto, which does force greater competition on price among more clinics and reduce the cost.
Other Factors Affecting The Final Cost
In addition to location, there are other factors that can influence prices such as the type of hair transplant procedure selected and as we’ve already discussed the number of hair follicles harvested and transplanted.
There are a few primary considerations to be noted when considering a hair transplant. These considerations, such as the type of hair transplant you choose (FUT, FUE, ARTAS, NEOGRAFT) can impact the cost significantly, and we will discuss these additional factors in detail below.
Hair Restoration Surgical Procedure FUT or FUE?
Which procedure will you choose?
Will you have a Follicular Unit Extraction, also referred to as a FUE Hair Transplant? Or will you have a Follicular Unit Transplant also referred to as FUT Hair Transplant?
The FUT hair transplant
Follicular unit transplantation or FUT for short is a hair transplant method where a long linear strip of hair-bearing skin is surgically excised from the back of the head using a scalpel.
The strip of hair is then dissected into individual follicular units under a high powered stereoscopic microscope and transplanted to the recipient or balding area of the scalp. The FUT or STRIP surgical option is generally less expensive and usually yields proportionally more grafts per session, but the downside is it will generally leave a linear scar at the donor follicles excise site.
The FUT hair transplant scar, how detectable or undetectable the resulting linear scar is generally determined by a combination of elements, including your scalp skin elasticity, the doctor’s level of experience, but most significantly by the quality of the doctor’s surgical technique.
- Important If performed correctly by an experienced clinic the FUT donor area hair strip incision can be closed using a highly specialized surgical technique that will minimize and camouflage the surgical scar quite well.
- Carefully consider this element when choosing a doctor or hair loss centre because an improperly sutured or closed FUT donor area incision can become unsightly and will be noticed by others if the sutured area stretches over time.
Our proprietary Uni-Strand™ FUT hair transplant procedure utilizes a special type of donor area surgical closure that we have pioneered in Canada. This closure allows hair to grow right through the scar, camouflaging the donor area very well.
This can make the scar appear much smaller, lowering its visibility. This can allow patients to wear relatively short hairstyles without revealing the scar to anyone.
FUT hair transplant Scar Minimizing Technique
Our Uni-Strand™ Scar-Minimizing Closure Technique, FUT hair transplant scar results of Surehair International patients below.
- In the proper hands the FUT Hair Transplant method can produce a very feathered, soft and completely natural looking hairline, as well as high quantities of high-quality hair grafts to fill in larger balding areas of scalp adequately.
- In the wrong hands, the FUT Hair Transplant can leave an unsightly scar in your donor area that is very difficult to camouflage. While much of the difference between a great result and a bad one lies in the doctor’s surgical technique what is also important to note is whether or not the clinic uses a stereoscopic microscope will have a huge impact on the quality of the final results, by using a stereoscopic microscope many of the hairline grafts can be dissected into very fine single follicular units which allow for the re-creation of a very soft and natural-looking hairline, vs the two, three and even four hair follicular graft units which are commonly produced without a stereoscopic microscope.
- Due to the fact that stereoscopic microscopes are very expensive, many hair loss doctors do not use them, and unfortunately, their patients don’t get the very best results possible. So before choosing a hair loss centre for a FUT hair transplant, ask them if they use a stereoscopic microscope? Better yet ask them to see it, your final results are highly dependant on it!
The FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant
Follicular unit extraction or FUE hair transplant for short is a graft harvesting technique where the surgeon removes individual hair follicles from the donor region.
In this method, donor hair is extracted using punches that make small circular incisions to excise the hair grafts. When extracted properly in an intentionally randomized fashion, these circular extraction sites heal rapidly and leave very small, almost imperceptible white dots in the donor area easily camouflaged by the remaining hair. These tiny extraction sites are difficult to see and would require a closeup inspection or a trained eye to locate them at all.
FUE is much more labour intensive than FUT. Thus the cost per graft for an FUE hair transplant can be relatively more expensive as compared to a FUT hair transplant. Clinics offering FUE hair transplants, can cost approximately 30% – 40% more than a FUT hair transplant.
However, caution is advised as an increase in price may not necessarily translate to better results. In fact, the final appearance of your hair transplant may not, and should depend on whether you choose FUE or FUT. In an experienced surgeon’s hands, the final results from both FUT or FUE hair transplants can look outstanding.
Strip Hair Transplant Vs FUE Hair Transplant
Both FUE vs FUT each has their respective strengths and weaknesses; however, the main benefit of using FUE is that you can avoid producing a long linear scar in the donor region of your scalp, generally located at the back of the head.
For some people, not having to worry about concealing this long linear scar is a compelling enough reason to choose FUE over FUT.
Avoiding any linear scarring can be of particular interest to men who prefer hairstyles where the hair at the back of their head is very closely cropped or shaved.
Conversely, for other hair transplant candidates, FUE may not be worth the additional cost as they may prefer medium to longer hairstyles which should easily conceal a correctly sutured FUT scar left behind by an experienced doctor or clinic.
The 3 Biggest Advantages of FUT vs FUE
The main advantage of a FUT hair transplant over an FUE hair transplant is obviously cost, since it can be 30% – 40% less. However, the number of grafts that can be obtained from FUE vs FUT can be quite different. FUT will generally yield proportionally more hair grafts then FUE.
Therefore, if you have relatively large areas of hair loss, one FUT hair transplant might be the most cost-effective option as it will give you more grafts in one session, getting you closer to a full head of hair for less money.
FUE Can Be Less Expensive Then FUT In Some Cases
FUE hair transplants might be more cost-effective for smaller areas of hair loss. Also, it may be of value to note that typically, the FUT method can result in a somewhat higher density in the transplanted area (recipient site) compared to FUE because the FUT grafts can be trimmed into proportionally smaller grafts under a stereoscopic microscope.
Sure Hair International is also a leading Canadian FUE hair transplant centre. Our surgical centre is on the east side of Toronto but we also have hair loss centres in Mississauga, Hamilton, Vaughan, North York and Ottawa. We have incorporated highly advanced surgery techniques into our hair transplant procedure to provide the best quality FUE grafts for our patients. Our surgery methods result in high-quality final results.
We have two ARTAS® medical robotic systems that can be used to extract donor follicles as FUE grafts; however robotic technology has not yet reached a level that exceeds the capabilities of our handheld motorized drills.
Additionally, robotic FUE extraction is more expensive as compared to the manual handheld FUE extraction method. After a great deal of consideration, we have decided to continue to advocate for the handheld procedure until such time that the robotics have improved in their ability to extract consistently high-quality grafts with minimal damage at a cost-effective rate.
To summarize, the graft harvesting method chosen, the number of grafts required, and the number of sessions required will all impact your hair transplant cost significantly.
Is it Worth Getting a hair transplant?
A common question people ask Is it worth getting a hair transplant? Even though the cost is a big factor to consider, there are other factor’s to consider to determine if a hair transplant is worth it to you?
What is the Success Rate of a hair transplant?
Approximately 98 per cent. As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of failure, however as generally reported by best hair transplant surgeons in the Toronto area the success rate is 98 per cent.
- However there are some additional details to consider: Anywhere from 10 to 80 per cent of the transplanted hair will fully grow back in an estimated 4 to 8 months depending on several factors including the experience and skill level of the hair transplant Dr and technicians.
- A 2016 study indicates that even in hair transplant candidates who would typically get a sub-optimal to poor hair transplant regrowth rate; plasma therapy helps up to 75 per cent or more of the transplanted grafts grow fully mature hairs. This is just one of the reasons why at Sure Hair International we always include intra-operative plasma therapy as an integral part of every hair transplant surgery we perform.
- Hair transplants are not a good treatment option for everyone, people who have thick scalp scarring, very widespread hair loss or hair loss due to medication including chemotherapy are not generally good candidates for the procedure.
How long will a hair transplant last?
- A hair transplant can and should last a lifetime. The genetic predisposition for hair loss is determined by the hair follicle’s predisposition to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), once a follicle that is not genetically predisposed to fall out is transplanted to the balding area it remains genetically resistant to DHT and should last a lifetime.
- Just like regular hair, the transplanted hair will thin as you age. All cells in the human body are subject to the process of cell senescence, and the cells of transplanted hair are no exception, as a result, the transplanted hair should not fall out but it will thin normally as you age.
Will Transplanted Hair Thin as you age?
Obtaining a Cost Estimate for Hair Transplantation
Before your surgery, our hair transplant doctor will provide you with an estimate of the number of hair transplant graft units required to achieve the results you desire and the number of sessions required; usually, only one session is needed.
Our hair transplant sessions usually cost between $6750 – $8750 + HST. Our free consultation is designed to help you achieve your hair restoration goals and provide you with a precise cost estimate for your specific case hair loss.
Where To Apply For Hair Transplant Financing?
How to Obtain Medical Financing for Hair Transplant Surgery in Canada
In the past financing for surgical hair restoration has been a hurdle that frequently stops people from making the decision to move forward.
However, presently most hair transplant clinics do offer financing options that will reduce, “upfront” costs to zero or nearly zero. Here at Sure Hair International, we do offer financing options to our patients.
It’s relatively easy to qualify for our financing options, and payments can be as low as $119.00 – $149.00 per month for an average hair transplant session. By financing your hair transplant procedure, you can spread the cost of your surgery over the course of a year or a few years if you choose. We feel that we do all that we can to offer incredible value to our patients by providing world-class hair restoration results at highly competitive prices.
If you need or choose to obtain hair transplant financing, here at Sure Hair International, we do not offer direct in-house financing to our clients. However, we have aligned ourselves with select financial institutions that specialize in medical financing to assist you with funding your surgery at affordable rates. See below for financing payment examples.
Hair Transplant Financing in Canada With Medicard
Medicard has been proudly helping Canadians turn their hair restoration dreams into reality by offering simple and affordable financing solutions since 1996. They offer loans with no down payments, no prepayment penalties and industry-leading interest and approval rates.
With flexible terms, from 6 months up to 72 months, and fixed low monthly payment options, they can provide you with the finances you need to start your hair restoration process. Applying is quick, confidential and easy, just pick up the phone and call 1-888-689-9876 or visit www.medicard.com
Are hair transplant Procedures covered by OHIP?
For most candidates, hair transplant surgery is a cosmetic, elective surgery, which means the costs are usually not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), or even most private health insurance plans.
Only hair transplants that are a part of reconstructive surgery or a result of an injury or disfigurement could potentially be covered under some medical insurance plans including OHIP.
Seeking a Discount?
The initial upfront cost can feel a bit daunting to patients at first glance, but the value of the operation is often life-changing.
When you are shopping for a qualified hair transplant surgeon or clinic in Toronto or anywhere else, discounted prices do not come with any quality assurance. There can be a very significant difference between the final results achieved at any two clinics, so we encourage you to seek the highest quality and the most experienced hair transplant surgeon you can find first and foremost. Saving some money on your surgery will be of little to no consolation if you are not happy with your final results.
How do you shop for a hair transplant surgeon in Toronto?
Former patients are the best way to see the capabilities of a hair transplant clinic or doctor. Obtaining former patients’ before and after photos or videos or talking to former patients in person can provide you with an accurate idea of the quality of work produced by a given doctor or clinic.
Free Hair Transplant Consultation & Price Quote
Just about all our patients express to us that “They wish they had done this sooner.” The vast majority of the time, our patients wish they had taken action earlier and done this sooner.
Don’t waste another day, letting hair loss affect your self-confidence or self-esteem. Take the first step today, simply fill out the form below to get a no-cost, no-obligation hair restoration quote from one of our hair restoration specialists. By filling out the form below you’ll also receive a $1000.00 credit that you can use toward any of our hair surgical restoration services if you choose to, as our way of saying “thank you” for taking the time to consider Sure Hair International.
Free Hair Transplant Quote: and $1000 Credit
- Take the first step today, simply fill out the Online Consultation Form to get a no-cost, no-obligation hair loss consultation with a legitimate multi-board certified hair transplant expert, and by filling out the form you’ll also reserve your place in our limited time special should you elect to proceed.
- The consultation is absolutely FREE, and for your convenience, you can schedule a photo consultation via phone if you can’t make it in person.
Your Free Consultation Will Provide You With:
- A price / cost estimate for treatment of your specific case.
- An opportunity to have all your hair loss questions answered by a top hair restoration expert.
- An opportunity to learn about all new treatments and solutions.
- Easy Financing Options – if you prefer to finance let us show you the best options.
- A Personalized Future Hair loss assessment and diagnosis.
- A Opportunity to take advantage of our limited time specialwhile supplies last*