- Welcome to the 2020 edition of the Toronto Hair Transplant Guide, improve your results, reduce your costs, discover award winning clinics and much more.
- The Hair Transplant Toronto Guide is based on more than 30 years of clinical experience and modelled on hundreds of our most successful hair transplant client cases performed at our own Sure Hair International surgical clinic.
- You’ll find the information needed to roughly calculate what your own hair transplant costs should be based on the degree of your hair loss, and also the insights needed to choose the best clinic or doctor for you.
Estimating How Much Your Hair Transplant Will Cost
Since one of the first and foremost obstacles to hair transplant surgery for many people is cost, we will begin by explaining how the price of a hair transplant is calculated?
We will look at examples of costs using data recently collected in the Greater Toronto Area and teach you the “rule of thumb” that allows you to approximate the number of grafts you’ll need and also to approximate your own cost based on the price data provided.
Although most of the data in This Guide has been collected in The Greater Toronto Area of Canada, the principles and practices used to calculate hair transplantation surgery costs generally apply to most metropolitan areas, the principles are fairly standard practice accross the indusry, so no matter where you live, this Guide should still be relevant and prove helpful to you in estimating the cost of hair transplant surgery in your own local area.
Average Price Per Hair Transplant Graft in Toronto
The first thing to understand when attempting to establish an average or baseline price of a hair transplant in Toronto or any other city is that the standard industry practice is to price a hair transplant on a per/graft basis.
Prices Per Hair Transplant Graft Can Vary by up to 500% Accross Canada
In the Greater Toronto Area and also broadly across Canada, the per/graft price can range from as low as $2.50 per/graft to as high as $12.00 per/graft depending on the clinic and its location. Additionally, it is also common industry practice to include a “session fee” in the overall price as well.
The “session fee” is generally used to cover the cost of medications, equipment and other associated operating theatre expenses during the time you spend in the operating room for your surgery.
Hair Transplant Price Discrepancy
Prices do vary from clinic to clinic and city to city, but most particularly from region to region depending on the supply versus the demand in the regional market or to be even more specific, the number of hair transplant clinics available in your area versus how much of the regional population is interested in purchasing the service? Or otherwise stated, simply supply vs. demand.
In the Greater Toronto Area and the Greater Ottawa area alone two metropolitan alone there are approximately 15 well-established hair transplant clinics and a combined population of approximately 8 million people.
The Greater Toronto Area with an estimated 6,417,516 people. The Greater Ottawa Area with an estimated 1,323,783 people.
There are 11 established hair transplant clinics in the greater Toronto area if you include Hamilton, and just two established clinics currently operating in the Greater Ottawa area.
Where to find the best value and even better results
Even though each clinic whether in Toronto or Ottawa will have some degree of price variance within their own relative pricing structures, their overall pricing will be largely constrained by the number of competing clinics or “market supply” within their immediate region versus the amount of “market demand” for the service within the region. So generally speaking you will get maximum value and results from clinics in large metropolitan cities who are forced to compete on price and results with as many other clinics as possible.
Another Benefit of More Competition
Also because of the higher degree of competition between clinics competing locally, they are generally obligated to produce or provide superior results, more refined, more natural-looking end result in order to be more competitive with the higher number of clinics in their region.
So with more hair transplant centres in closer proximity competing with each other by offering better and more competitively priced hair transplant services the consumer generally tends to benefit by receiving better results at more competitive prices as well as much more in the way of choice.
In this example the cost of a hair transplant in Toronto as compared to a hair transplant in Ottawa there is an average of 200% – 300% price difference per hair transplant graft between the two regions, your hair transplant will cost on average twice as much in Ottawa because there is a much more limited “supply” relative to the population and because there is approximately 500% more supply of hair transplant services available in the Greater Toronto Area.
Location is Not The Only Factor
In addition to location, there are other factors that can influence prices such as the type of hair transplant procedure selected and the number of hair follicles harvested and transplanted. There are a few primary considerations to be noted when considering a hair transplant. These considerations, such as the type of hair transplant you choose can impact the cost significantly, and we will discuss these additional factors in detail below.
Top 5 Factors affecting the cost of your hair transplant
- Location of hair transplant centre
- Choice of STRIP or FUE Hair Transplant
- Number of grafts required
- Number of sessions required
- Clinic Fee Structure
Hair Restoration Surgical Procedure FUT or FUE?
Which procedure will you choose? Will you have a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) or Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)?
The FUT or “STRIP” hair transplant
Follicular unit transplantation, FUT for short is a hair transplant method where a long linear strip of hair-bearing skin is surgically excised from the back of the head using a scalpel.
The strip of hair is then dissected into individual follicular units under a high powered stereoscopic microscope and transplanted to the recipient area of the scalp. The FUT or STRIP surgical option is generally less expensive and usually yields proportionally more grafts per session, but the downside is it will generally leave a linear scar at the donor follicles exise site.
How detectable or undetectable the resulting linear scar is generally determined by a combination of elements, including your scalp skin elasticity, the doctor’s level of experience, but most significantly by the quality of the doctor’s surgical technique.
- Important If performed correctly by an experienced clinic the STRIP donor area strip incision can be closed using a highly specialized surgical technique that will minimize and camouflage the surgical scar quite well.
- Carefully consider when choosing a doctor or hair loss centre because an improperly sutured or closed FUT donor area incision can become unsightly and will be noticed by others if the sutured area stretches over time.
- In the right hands the FUT or STRIP Hair Transplant method can produce a very feathered, soft and completely natural looking hairline, as well as high quantities of quality hair grafts to fill in larger balding areas of scalp adequately.
- In the wrong hands, the FUT Hair Transplant can leave an unsightly scar in your donor area that is very difficult to camouflage.While much of the difference between a great result and a bad one lies in the doctor’s surgical technique what is also important to note is whether or not the clinic uses a stereoscopic microscope will have a huge impact on the quality of the final results, by using a stereoscopic microscope many of the hairline grafts can be dissected into very fine single follicular units which allow for the re-creation of a very soft and natural-looking hairline, vs the two, three and even four hair follicular graft units which are generally produced without a stereoscopic microscope.
- Due to the fact that stereoscopic microscopes are very expensive, many hair loss doctors do not use them, and unfortunately, their patients don’t get the very best results possible. So before choosing a hair loss centre for a FUT hair transplant, ask them if they use a stereoscopic microscope? Better yet ask them to see it, your final results are highly dependant on it!
The FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant
Follicular unit extraction or FUE hair transplant for short is a graft harvesting technique where the surgeon removes individual hair follicles from the donor region.
In this method, donor hair is extracted using punches that make small circular incisions to excise the hair grafts. When extracted properly in an intentionally randomized fashion, these circular extraction sites heal rapidly and leave very small, almost imperceptible white dots in the donor area easily camouflaged by the remaining hair. These tiny extraction sites are difficult to see and would require a closeup inspection or a trained eye to locate them at all.
FUE is much more labour intensive than FUT. Thus the cost per graft for an FUE hair transplant can be relatively more expensive as compared to a FUT hair transplant. Clinics offering FUE hair transplants, can cost approximately 30% – 40% more than a FUT hair transplant.
However, caution is advised as an increase in price may not necessarily translate to better results. In fact, the final appearance of your hair transplant may not, and should depend on whether you choose FUE or FUT. In an experienced surgeon’s hands, the final results from both FUT or FUE hair transplant can look outstanding.
Strip Hair Transplant Vs FUE Hair Transplant
Both FUE and FUT each have their respective strengths and weaknesses; however, the main benefit of using FUE is that you can avoid producing a long linear scar in the donor region of your scalp, generally located at the back of the head.
For some people, not having to worry about concealing this long linear scar is a compelling enough reason to choose FUE over FUT.
Avoiding any linear scarring can be of particular interest to men who prefer hairstyles where the hair at the back of their head is very closely cropped or shaved.
Conversely, for other hair transplant candidates, FUE may not be worth the additional cost as they may prefer medium to longer hairstyles which should easily conceal a correctly sutured FUT scar left behind by any experienced doctor or clinic.
The 3 Biggest Advantages of FUT vs FUE
The main advantage of a FUT hair transplant over an FUE hair transplant is obviously cost, since it can be 30% – 40% less. However, the number of grafts that can be obtained from FUE vs FUT can be quite different. FUT will generally yield proportionally more hair grafts then FUE.
Therefore, if you have relatively large areas of hair loss, one FUT hair transplant might be the most cost-effective option as it will give you more grafts in one session, getting you closer to a full head of hair for less money.
FUE Can Be Less Expensive Then FUT In Some Cases
FUE hair transplants might be more cost-effective for smaller areas of hair loss. Also, it may be of value to note that typically, the FUT method can result in a somewhat higher density in the transplanted area (recipient site) compared to FUE because the FUT grafts can be trimmed into proportionally smaller grafts under a stereoscopic microscope.
Reducing Costs by Improving Outcomes
At Sure Hair International, we offer both the FUT and FUE hair transplant procedures. Using our proprietary Uni-Strand™ surgical protocols we can minimize the inherent weaknesses of the FUT and FUE hair transplant procedures to help improve outcomes while reducing patient costs.
Our proprietary Uni-Strand™ strip hair transplant procedure utilizes a special type of surgical closure that we have pioneered in Canada. This closure is called the trichophytic closure which allows hair to grow right through the scar, camouflaging the donor area.
This can make the scar appear much smaller, lowering its visibility. This can allow patients to wear relatively short hairstyles without revealing the scar to anyone.
Sure Hair International is also a leading Canadian FUE hair transplant centre. Our surgical centre is on the east side of Toronto but we also have hair loss centres in Mississauga, Hamilton, Vaughan, North York and Ottawa. We have incorporated highly advanced surgery techniques into our hair transplant procedure to provide the best quality FUE grafts for our patients. Our surgery methods result in high-quality final results.
We have two ARTAS medical robotic systems that can be used to extract donor follicles as FUE grafts; however robotic technology has not yet reached a level that exceeds the capabilities of our handheld motorized drills.
Additionally, robotic FUE extraction is more expensive as compared to the manual handheld FUE extraction method. After a great deal of consideration, we have decided to continue to advocate for the handheld procedure until such time that the robotics have improved in their ability to extract consistently high-quality grafts with minimal damage at a cost-effective rate.
How many Hair grafts will you need?
Another significant factor that will affect the cost of your hair transplant is how many grafts you will need? If you are like most patients you probably don’t know how many grafts it takes to fill a given area on the scalp. To help you estimate how many grafts you may use the following “rule of thumb” to get a relatively accurate self estimate.
Hair loss regions that are about the size of your fist usually take about 1,500 grafts to fill. Using this rule of thumb, you should be able to estimate how many grafts you may need. Do you have a balding area of one fist, two fists, or more?
How many sessions will be required?
The last main factor that will affect the cost of your hair transplant is the number of sessions required. In some cases, particularly those in the more advanced stages of hair loss, a 4.5 or above on the Norwood scale will usually require more than one session.
Due to the number of grafts that may be required, some clinics may prefer more than one session because you may require more grafts than they can extract or produce in one session.
Breaking up the hair transplantation into sessions can also help you financially.
Breaking up the procedure with several months between sessions may make the cost of the hair transplant more easily manageable. However, more sessions will easily multiply your final cost by 100% – 150% because you will incur at least two “session fees” instead of just one. Thus the number of sessions is perhaps one of the biggest factors affecting the final cost of a hair transplant.
Many clinics routinely transplant 1,500 – 3,000 grafts per session.
If you are in the later stages of hair loss, typically anything higher than a four or five on the Norwood scale, then it is important to consider how many grafts a given clinic can safely transplant per session as this can significantly impact your hair transplant costs.
The number of grafts per session is dependent on the clinic or doctor you choose. Many clinics routinely transplant 1,500 – 3,000 grafts per session. Three thousand grafts can be suitable for most patients who are four or less on the Norwood scale. The clinics that can produce higher grafts per session are usually more established and experienced as they have access to greater resources and a larger staff.
As a general rule, unless you have an extremely pertinent reason for wanting more than 3000 Grafts in a single session, then it is generally safer and advisable to err on the side of caution and break it up into two or more sessions.
To summarize, the graft harvesting method chosen, the number of grafts required, and the number of sessions required will all impact your hair transplant cost significantly.
Is it Worth Getting a hair transplant?
A common question people ask Is it worth getting a hair transplant? Even though the cost is a big factor to consider, there are other factor’s to consider to determine if a hair transplant is worth it to you?
What is the Success Rate of a hair transplant?
What is the success rate of a hair transplant? Or said another way how often do hair transplants work? Hair transplants are typically much more effective than any hair restoration product currently available over the counter, with or without a prescription.
- However there are some additional details to consider: Anywhere from 10 to 80 percent of the transplanted hair will fully grow back in an estimated 4 to 8 months depending on several factors including the experience and skill level of the hair transplant Dr and technicians.
- A 2016 study indicates that even in hair transplant candidates who would typically get a suboptimal to poor hair transplant regrowth rate; plasma therapy helps up to 75 percent or more of the transplanted grafts grow fully mature hairs. This is just one of the reasons why at Sure Hair International we always include intra-operative plasma therapy as an integral part of every hair transplant surgery we perform.
- Hair transplants are not a good treatment option for everyone, people who have thick scalp scarring, very widespread hair loss or hair loss due to medication including chemotherapy are not generally good candidates for the procedure.
How long will a hair transplant last?
- Just like regular hair, the transplanted hair will thin as you age. All cells in the human body are subject to the process of cell senescence, and the cells of transplanted hair are no exception, as a result, transplanted hair will thin as you age.
- When performed by an experienced hair restoration specialist, a hair transplant can and should last a lifetime. That is because the genetic predisposition for hair loss is determined by hair follicle itself, rather than the scalp, once a hair which is not genetically predisposed to fall out is transplanted to the balding area of the scalp it should continue to grow for a lifetime because it’s genetic predisposition to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has not changed.
Obtaining a Cost Estimate for Hair Transplantation
Before your surgery, our hair transplant doctor will provide you with an estimate of the number of hair transplant graft units required to achieve the results you desire and the number of sessions required; usually, only one session is needed.
Our hair transplant sessions usually cost between $6750 – $8750 + HST. Our free consultation is designed to help you achieve your hair restoration goals and provide you with a precise cost estimate for your specific case hair loss.
Where To Apply For Appropriate Medical Financing?
How to Obtain Medical Financing for Hair Transplant Surgery
In the past financing for hair restoration has been a hurdle that frequently stops people from making the decision to move forward.
However, presently most hair transplant clinics do offer financing options which will reduce, “upfront” costs to zero or nearly zero. Here at Sure Hair International, we do offer financing options to our patients.
It’s relatively easy to qualify for our financing options, and payments can be as low as $119.00 – $149.00 per month for an average hair transplant session. By financing your hair transplant procedure, you can spread the cost of your surgery over the course of a year or a few years if you choose. We feel that we do all that we can to offer an incredible value to our patients by providing world-class hair restoration results at highly competitive prices.
If you need or choose to finance your surgery, here at Sure Hair International, we do not offer direct in-house financing to our clients. However, we have aligned ourselves with select financial institutions that specialize in medical financing to assist you with funding your surgery at affordable rates. See below for financing payment examples.
Hair Transplant Financing in Canada With Medicard
Medicard has been proudly helping Canadians turn their hair restoration dreams into reality by offering simple and affordable financing solutions since 1996. They offer loans with no down payments, no prepayment penalties and industry-leading interest and approval rates.
With flexible terms, from 6 months up to 72 months, and fixed low monthly payment options, they can provide you with the finances you need to start your hair restoration process. Applying is quick, confidential and easy, just pick up the phone and call 1-888-689-9876 or visit www.medicard.com
Are hair transplant Procedures covered by OHIP?
For most candidates, hair transplant surgery is a cosmetic, elective surgery, which means the costs are usually not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), or even most private health insurance plans.
Only hair transplants that are a part of reconstructive surgery or a result of an injury or disfigurement could potentially be covered under some medical insurance plans including OHIP.
Seeking a Discount?
The initial upfront cost can feel a bit daunting to patients at first glance, but the value of the operation is often life-changing.
When you are shopping for a qualified hair transplant surgeon or clinic in Toronto or anywhere else, discounted prices do not come with any quality assurance. There can be a very significant difference between the final results achieved at any two clinics, so we encourage you to seek the highest quality and the most experienced hair transplant surgeon you can find first and foremost. Saving some money on your surgery will be of little to no consolation if you are not happy with your final results.
How do you shop for a hair transplant Toronto surgeon?
Former patients are the best way to see the capabilities of a hair transplant clinic or doctor. Obtaining former patients’ before and after photos or videos or talking to former patients in person can provide you with an accurate idea of the quality of work produced by a given doctor or clinic.
Hair Transplant Before and After
Please feel free to watch a few of our client videos below or visit our Reviews page Hair Transplant Reviews page to read what a few of our past clients have said about our services.
Get a Free Hair Transplant Price Quote & $1000 Off
Just about all our patients express to us that “They wish they had done this sooner.” The vast majority of the time, our patients wish they had taken action earlier and done this sooner.
Don’t waste another day, letting hair loss affect your self-confidence or self-esteem. Take the first step today, simply fill out the form below to get a no-cost, no-obligation hair restoration quote from one of our hair restoration specialists. By filling out the form below you’ll also receive a $1000.00 credit that you can use toward any of our hair surgical restoration services if you choose to, as our way of saying “thank you” for taking the time to consider Sure Hair International.
Free Hair Transplant Quote:and $1000 Credit
- Take the first step today, simply fill out the Online Consultation Form to get a no-cost, no-obligation hair loss consultation with a legitimate multi-board certified hair transplant expert, and by filling out the form you’ll also reserve your place in our limited time special should you elect to proceed.
- The consultation is absolutely FREE, and for your convenience, you can schedule a photo consultation via phone if you can’t make it in person.
Your Free Consultation Will Provide You With:
- A price / cost estimate for treatment of your specific case.
- An opportunity to have all your hair loss questions answered by a top hair restoration expert.
- An opportunity to learn about all new treatments and solutions.
- Easy Financing Options – if you prefer to finance let us show you the best options.
- A Personalized Future Hair loss assessment and diagnosis.
- A Opportunity to take advantage of our limited time specialwhile supplies last*