There are very few individuals with as much experience, training and international certification when it comes to the art and science of surgical hair restoration.
Dr Gupta has performed approximately 6,000 hair transplants using both the Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) methods.
Dr A. K. Gupta is widely regarded as one of the very best hair transplant surgeons in Canada. The following are some of his accomplishments and accreditations in the field of medicine and hair restoration.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons
- Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons
- Member of American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Member of American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- One of the only Canadian doctors to hold both ABHRS and FISHRS designations.
- Only Canadian Oral & Written Examiner for the prestigious ABHRS
- Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
- 700 peer-reviewed articles on the subject of hair and skin published.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Former Researcher at the NIH (National Institute of Health)
- Clinical trial investigator with 8 clinical trials completed
If you are considering a hair transplant and would like to learn more about choosing the right clinic, please read our Complete Guide to the cost of getting a hair transplant.
Dr. Gupta is both a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons (DABHRS) and a Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons (FISHRS), making him only one of 3 hair restoration surgeons in the GTA and only one of 4 in all of Canada who has both the ABHRS and FISHRS designations.
Becoming a DABHRS requires successfully passing extensive written and oral board exams. Being awarded the FISHRS designation is the sum of a lifelong pursuit of hair research and excellence. Hair surgeons who have obtained fellowship designation have done so by serving in leadership positions, writing scientific papers, teaching, and obtaining their DABHRS.
Dr. Gupta is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology (DABD) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD).
He is a Diplomate of the American Board in Laser Surgery (DABLS) and a Fellow of the American Society of Laser Medicine Surgery (Fellow, ASLMS). He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (FAACS).
Only Canadian Oral & Written Examiner for the prestigious ABHRS
Dr Gupta is both an oral and written examiner for the ABHRS and in fact, is the only Canadian who is both a written examiner and oral examiner for the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons.
He has served as an oral examiner in the ABHRS examinations held in Prague, Czech Republic (2017), Dubai, UAE (2018), Los Angeles, US (2018), and is scheduled for Bangkok, Thailand (2019). He has been a written examiner for the ABHRS since 2018.
Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
Dr Gupta has been selected to serve a three-year term as the co-editor of the Hair Transplant Forum, the official publication of the ISHRS starting in 2020. Where he has answered hundreds of questions, such as is it worth getting a hair transplant? Or am I a good hair transplant candidate? Etc. Etc.
Continued volunteer support for the ISHRS.
Dr Gupta has served on various ISHRS policy committees, including the FUE Advancement Committee (2014-Present), Core Curriculum Committee (2016-2019) and the Ad Hoc Committee (2017-2019).
700 peer-reviewed articles and textbooks published… and counting
He has published extensively in dermatology and hair research with 700 articles in the peer-review literature. He is on 14 journal Editorial Boards. Dr Gupta is the most published hair transplant surgeon in Canada.
Dr. Gupta received his medical degree at Southampton Medical School in the United Kingdom. He completed a partial residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Toronto. He completed his residency in Dermatology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
He received specialized training in conducting clinical trials at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
|Date Range||All Articles||Book Chapters||Total Publications|
|H Factor: 95|
|Total Citations: 31,608|
Former Researcher at the National Institutes of Health
Dr. Gupta later performed basic research at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, USA and received his PhD at the University of Göteborg and Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden.
He also has a Master of Arts (MA) degree from King’s College, University of Cambridge, UK. He has two MBAs, one through Western University, London, Ontario, and the other in Health Care Management through the University of Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
Dr Gupta continues to contribute to the world of academic dermatological research through regularly lecturing at the University of Toronto and internationally for the past 15 years.
Clinical trial investigator
Dr Gupta holds designations from CCRP, ACRP, DIA, and ARCP regarding clinical trials research. In his London facility, his team has conducted 8 clinical trials since 2014.
Highly accomplished hair loss researcher & medical publisher
Dr Gupta has contributed a chapter to the 6th Edition of the Unger Hair Transplantation Textbook, the definitive text used by trainee hair restoration surgeons.
A partial list of his recent publications in trichology (hair research) can be found below:
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG, Rapaport J, Hausauer AK, Shear NH, Piguet V. The efficacy in the field of hair restoration and facial aesthetics – a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cutan Med Surg. 2019 Mar/Apr;23(2):185-203. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of off-label treatments for the management of androgenetic alopecia: A review. Clin Drug Investig. 2019 Mar;39(3):233-239. (Principal Author)
- Haber RS, Gupta AK, Epstein E, Carviel JL, Foley KA. Fin for androgenetic alopecia is not associated with sexual dysfunction: A survey-based, single-center, controlled study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2019 Mar 5. (Co-Author)
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Dotzert MS, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, and Piguet V. Efficacy and safety of non-surgical treatments for androgenetic alopecia: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2018 Dec;32(12):2112-2125. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, MacLeod MA, Shear N. Assessing fin-associated sexual dysfunction using the FAERS database. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Jun;31(6):1069-1075. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Abramovits W. Treating alopecia areata: current practices versus new directions. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Feb;18(1):67-75. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Foley, KA. A critical assessment of the evidence for low-level laser therapy (LLLT) in the treatment of hair loss. Dermatol Surg. 2017 Feb;43(2):188-197. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG. Topical treatment of facial seborrheic dermatitis. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Apr;18(2):193-213. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL. A meta-analysis of the efficacy of androgenetic alopecia. J Dermatolog Treat. 2017 Feb;28(1):55-58. (Principal Author)
- Donati A, Gupta AK, Jacob C, Cavelier-Balloy B, Reygagne P. The use of direct immunofluorescence in frontal fibrosing alopecia. Skin Appendage Disord. 2017 Aug;3(3):125-128. (Co-Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Gupta MA, Shear NH. Assessing dut-associated sexual dysfunction using the U.S. Food and Drug Administration adverse event reporting system. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Dec 1. doi: 10.1111/jdv.14728. [Epub ahead of print] (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Abramovits W. What is new in the management of alopecia areata? Skinmed. 2016 Oct 1;14(5):375-378. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL, Abramovits W. Efficacy of tofaci-tinib in the treatment of alopecia universalis in two patients. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2016 Aug;30(8):1373-8. (Principal Author)
- Williams Jr. KL, Gupta AK, Schultz H. Ergonomics in hair restoration surgeons. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2016 Mar;15(1):66-71. (Co-author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J. A mechanistic model of treatment for androgenetic alopecia. Dermatol Surg. 2016 Dec;42(12):1335-1339. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. Topical Minox: Systematic review and meta-analysis of its efficacy in androgenetic alopecia. Skinmed. 2015 May-Jun;13(3):185-9. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Daigle D. Progression of Surgical Hair Restoration Techniques. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015 Jan-Feb;19(1):17-21. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Abramovits W. Low-level laser/light therapy for androgenetic alopecia. Skinmed. 2014 May-Jun;12(3):145-7. (Principal Author).
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Daigle D, Harris JA. Surgical hair restoration and the advent of a robotic-assisted extraction device. Skinmed. 2014 Jul-Aug;12(4):213-6. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK. – Update. ISHRS World Live Surgery Workshop. Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE. March 8-10, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Dotzert MS, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, Piguet V. Efficacy of Non-Surgical Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis. 27th EADV Congress. Paris, France. September 15, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of Off-Label Treatments for the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. 27th EADV Congress. Paris, France. September 15, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of Off-Label Treatments for the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. ISHRS 26th World Congress. Hollywood, CA, USA. October 10-13, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG. as a Treatment for Alopecia. ISHRS 26th World Congress. Hollywood, CA, USA. October 10-13, 2018.
- Gupta AK. Placebo Controlled Studies Use for Hair Growth. ISHRS 25th World Congress. Prague, Czech Republic. October 4-7, 2017.
- Gupta AK. A critical analysis of the use of LLLT in male and female pattern hair loss. 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting ISHRS. Chicago, IL, USA. September 2015.
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL, MacLeod M. Assessing fin-associated sexual dysfunction using the FAERS database. 75th Annual Meeting AAD. Orlando, FL, USA. March 3-7, 2017.
- Williams KL, Gupta AK. Characterizing Ergonomics and Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Hair Restoration Surgery. 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting ISHRS. Chicago, IL, USA. September 2015.
- Gupta MA, Gupta AK, Vujcic B. Body-focused repetitive behaviors (hair-pulling, skin-picking, onychophagia) and dissociation: An under-recognized association. Biological Psychiatry 2015; 77 (9 SUPPL. 1): 48S.
- Gupta AK, Foley KA, Lyons DCA. An Algorithm for the Diagnosis of Female Hair Loss. American Academy of Dermatology – Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, USA. March 2015.
- Gupta AK, Lyons DCA. Robotically assisted follicular unit extraction in surgical hair restoration. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2014:70;5:AB92. 72nd Annual Meeting of the AAD. Denver, CO, USA. March 21-25, 2014.
- Gupta AK, Foley KA, Lyons DCA. Female Hair Loss: An Algorithm for Diagnosis and Management. 23rd EADV Congress. Amsterdam, Netherlands. October 8-12, 2014.
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. The Efficacy and Safety of 5α-Reductase Inhibitors in Androgenetic Alopecia: A network meta-analysis and benefit-risk assessment of fin and dut. 88th Annual Canadian Dermatology Association Conference, Quebec City, QC, Canada. June 27-29, 2013.
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. The Efficacy and Safety of 5α-Reductase Inhibitors in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Network Meta-Analysis and Benefit-Risk Assessment of Fin and Dut. 22nd EADV Congress. Istanbul, Turkey. October 2-6, 2013.