Table Of Contents
- Dr. A. K. Gupta is an esteemed member of the following prestigious associations
- Only Canadian Oral & Written Examiner for the prestigious ABHRS
- Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
- Continued volunteer support for the ISHRS.
- 700 peer-reviewed articles and textbooks published… and counting
- Researcher at the National Institute of Health
- Clinical trial investigator
- Highly accomplished hair loss researcher & medical publisher
Sure Hair International’s Medical Director is Dr. A. K. Gupta MD, PhD, MBA, MBA/HCM, MA (Cantab), DABHRS, DABD, FISHRS, FAAD, FAACS, FRCP(C)
Dr. Gupta is both a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons (DABHRS) and a Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons (FISHRS), making him only one of 3 hair restoration surgeons in the GTA and only one of 4 in all of Canada who have both the ABHRS and FISHRS designations. Becoming a DABHRS requires the successful passing of extensive written and oral board exams. Being awarded the FISHRS designation is the sum of a lifelong pursuit of hair research and excellence. Hair surgeons who have obtained with fellowship designation have done so by serving in leadership positions, writing scientific papers, teaching, and obtaining their DABHRS.
Dr. Gupta is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology (DABD) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD).
He is a Diplomate of the American Board in Laser Surgery (DABLS) and a Fellow of the American Society of Laser Medicine Surgery (Fellow, ASLMS). He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (FAACS).
Only Canadian Oral & Written Examiner for the prestigious ABHRS
He is both an oral and written examiner for the ABHRS and in fact is the only Canadian who is both a written examiner and oral examiner for the ABHRS. There are no other Toronto-based surgeons who examines for the ABHRS.
He has served as an oral examiner in the ABHRS examinations held in Prague, Czech Republic (2017), Dubai, UAE (2018), Los Angeles, US (2018), and is scheduled for Bangkok, Thailand (2019). He has been a written examiner for the ABHRS since 2018.
Selected as Co-Editor of the prestigious ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum
Dr. Gupta has been selected to serve a three-year term as the co-editor of the Hair Transplant Forum, the official publication of the ISHRS starting in 2020.
Continued volunteer support for the ISHRS.
Dr. Gupta has served on various ISHRS policy committees including, the FUE Advancement Committee (2014-Present), Core Curriculum Committee (2016-2019) and the Ad Hoc Committee on PRP (2017-2019).
700 peer-reviewed articles and textbooks published… and counting
He has published extensively in dermatology and hair research with 700 articles in the peer review literature. He is on 14 journal Editorial Boards. Dr. Gupta is the most published hair transplant surgeons in Canada.
Dr. Gupta received his medical degree at Southampton Medical School in the United Kingdom. He completed a partial residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Toronto. He completed his residency in Dermatology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
He received specialized training in conducting clinical trials at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
|Date Range||All Articles||Book Chapters||Total Publications|
|H Factor: 95|
|Total Citations: 31,608|
Researcher at the National Institute of Health
Dr. Gupta later performed basic research at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, USA and received his PhD at the University of Göteborg and Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden.
He also has a Master of Arts (MA) degree from King’s College, University of Cambridge, UK. He has two MBAs, one through Western University, London, Ontario, and the other in Health Care Management through University of Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
Dr. Gupta continues to contribute to the world of academic dermatological research through regularly lecturing at the University of Toronto and internationally for the past 15 years.
Clinical trial investigator
Dr. Gupta holds designations from CCRP, ACRP, DIA, and ARCP in regards to clinical trials research. In his London facility his team has conducted 8 clinical trials since 2014.
Highly accomplished hair loss researcher & medical publisher
Dr. Gupta has contributed a chapter to the 6th Edition of the Unger Hair Transplantation Textbook, the definitive text used by trainee hair restoration surgeons.
A partial list of his recent publications in trichology (hair research) can be found below:
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG, Rapaport J, Hausauer AK, Shear NH, Piguet V. The efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in the field of hair restoration and facial aesthetics – a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cutan Med Surg. 2019 Mar/Apr;23(2):185-203. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of off-label treatments for the management of androgenetic alopecia: A review. Clin Drug Investig. 2019 Mar;39(3):233-239. (Principal Author)
- Haber RS, Gupta AK, Epstein E, Carviel JL, Foley KA. Finasteride for androgenetic alopecia is not associated with sexual dysfunction: A survey-based, single-center, controlled study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2019 Mar 5. (Co-Author)
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Dotzert MS, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, and Piguet V. Efficacy and safety of non-surgical treatments for androgenetic alopecia: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2018 Dec;32(12):2112-2125. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, MacLeod MA, Shear N. Assessing finasteride-associated sexual dysfunction using the FAERS database. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Jun;31(6):1069-1075. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Abramovits W. Treating alopecia areata: current practices versus new directions. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Feb;18(1):67-75. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Foley, KA. A critical assessment of the evidence for low-level laser therapy (LLLT) in the treatment of hair loss. Dermatol Surg. 2017 Feb;43(2):188-197. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG. Topical treatment of facial seborrheic dermatitis. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Apr;18(2):193-213. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL. A meta-analysis of the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma therapy for androgenetic alopecia. J Dermatolog Treat. 2017 Feb;28(1):55-58. (Principal Author)
- Donati A, Gupta AK, Jacob C, Cavelier-Balloy B, Reygagne P. The use of direct immunofluorescence in frontal fibrosing alopecia. Skin Appendage Disord. 2017 Aug;3(3):125-128. (Co-Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Gupta MA, Shear NH. Assessing dutasteride-associated sexual dysfunction using the U.S. Food and Drug Administration adverse event reporting system. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Dec 1. doi: 10.1111/jdv.14728. [Epub ahead of print] (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J, Abramovits W. What is new in the management of alopecia areata? Skinmed. 2016 Oct 1;14(5):375-378. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL, Abramovits W. Efficacy of tofacitinib in the treatment of alopecia universalis in two patients. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2016 Aug;30(8):1373-8. (Principal Author)
- Williams Jr. KL, Gupta AK, Schultz H. Ergonomics in hair restoration surgeons. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2016 Mar;15(1):66-71. (Co-author)
- Gupta AK, Carviel J. A mechanistic model of platelet-rich plasma treatment for androgenetic alopecia. Dermatol Surg. 2016 Dec;42(12):1335-1339. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. Topical Minoxidil: Systematic review and meta-analysis of its efficacy in androgenetic alopecia. Skinmed. 2015 May-Jun;13(3):185-9. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Daigle D. Progression of Surgical Hair Restoration Techniques. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015 Jan-Feb;19(1):17-21. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Abramovits W. Low-level laser/light therapy for androgenetic alopecia. Skinmed. 2014 May-Jun;12(3):145-7. (Principal Author).
- Gupta AK, Lyons DC, Daigle D, Harris JA. Surgical hair restoration and the advent of a robotic-assisted extraction device. Skinmed. 2014 Jul-Aug;12(4):213-6. (Principal Author)
- Gupta AK. PRP – Update. ISHRS World Live Surgery Workshop. Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE. March 8-10, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Dotzert MS, Versteeg SG, Shear NH, Piguet V. Efficacy of Non-Surgical Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis. 27th EADV Congress. Paris, France. September 15, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of Off-Label Treatments for the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. 27th EADV Congress. Paris, France. September 15, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Mays RR, Shear NH, Piguet V, Piraccini BM. Efficacy of Off-Label Treatments for the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. ISHRS 26th World Congress. Hollywood, CA, USA. October 10-13, 2018.
- Gupta AK, Versteeg SG. Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) as a Treatment for Alopecia. ISHRS 26th World Congress. Hollywood, CA, USA. October 10-13, 2018.
- Gupta AK. Placebo Controlled Studies of PRP Use for Hair Growth. ISHRS 25th World Congress. Prague, Czech Republic. October 4-7, 2017.
- Gupta AK. A critical analysis of the use of LLLT in male and female pattern hair loss. 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting ISHRS. Chicago, IL, USA. September 2015.
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL, MacLeod M. Assessing finasteride-associated sexual dysfunction using the FAERS database. 75th Annual Meeting AAD. Orlando, FL, USA. March 3-7, 2017.
- Williams KL, Gupta AK. Characterizing Ergonomics and Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Hair Restoration Surgery. 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting ISHRS. Chicago, IL, USA. September 2015.
- Gupta MA, Gupta AK, Vujcic B. Body-focused repetitive behaviors (hair-pulling, skin-picking, onychophagia) and dissociation: An under-recognized association. Biological Psychiatry 2015; 77 (9 SUPPL. 1): 48S.
- Gupta AK, Foley KA, Lyons DCA. An Algorithm for the Diagnosis of Female Hair Loss. American Academy of Dermatology – Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, USA. March 2015.
- Gupta AK, Lyons DCA. Robotically assisted follicular unit extraction in surgical hair restoration. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2014:70;5:AB92. 72nd Annual Meeting of the AAD. Denver, CO, USA. March 21-25, 2014.
- Gupta AK, Foley KA, Lyons DCA. Female Hair Loss: An Algorithm for Diagnosis and Management. 23rd EADV Congress. Amsterdam, Netherlands. October 8-12, 2014.
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. The Efficacy and Safety of 5α-Reductase Inhibitors in Androgenetic Alopecia: A network meta-analysis and benefit-risk assessment of finasteride and dutasteride. 88th Annual Canadian Dermatology Association Conference, Quebec City, QC, Canada. June 27-29, 2013.
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. The Efficacy and Safety of 5α-Reductase Inhibitors in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Network Meta-Analysis and Benefit-Risk Assessment of Finasteride and Dutasteride. 22nd EADV Congress. Istanbul, Turkey. October 2-6, 2013.