Post Hair Transplant Care – hair transplant recovery
The first few days after the surgery the average patient can expect some mild swelling in the forehead area.
Roughly three weeks after your procedure you may begin to experience some shedding of the transplanted hairs. This is completely normal and is to be expected. This occurs due to the temporary rest phase that all hair grafts go through after any hair restoration procedure. Your new hair growth will follow after this transition.
New Hair Growth
Over the next several weeks to few months the average patient can expect to see a few new hair sprouts coming through the surface of the scalp. This new growth period varies from patient to patient but the average is three months. The new hair may not necessarily grow in evenly but it will all grow in eventually. The new hair will be thin and fine but will thicken over time. During this time the patient may also notice the formation of pimples in the recipient area. This is normal and is due to some of the new hairs trying to grow through the scalp. Sometimes these can become temporarily trapped under the skin like an ingrown hair but the condition is temporary. This is a positive sign of new growth! The best way to soften the pimples is with warm water. Once softened, they can be carefully popped and then swabbed with alcohol on a cotton ball.
Final Growth Phase
By the fifth to sixth month after the procedure the patient can expect to see considerable new growth. The new hair will be approximately two to three inches in length and the hair shaft will begin to thicken. Between months eight and ten the patient will see the most impressive difference since the initial procedure. The hair will be longer and much thicker and the overall appearance will be one of greater density than even a few short months before. By the time a full year has passed, the patient will see the final result. However improvements may still be seen well over a year after surgery.
The hair that is now growing will continue to grow for the rest of the patient’s life and can be cut and styled in any manner the patient wishes. There is no special regimen required to care for the new hair. Standard shampoos and other hair products are perfectly safe. The patient can treat the new hair as they always have because it is their OWN hair that has simply been relocated!
It is not uncommon for the donor area (back of the head) and the recipient area to feel a bit numb. The patient may feel that the area is either a little more or less sensitive than usual. This is because some small nerves in the scalp were cut as a normal part of the procedure. The same thing happens during any surgery when the skin is cut or when you accidentally cut yourself. Not to worry. The normal sensation will come back in three to six months.
In order to maintain the highest quality results we like our patients to follow up so that the doctor can asses your transplant and to answer any questions you may have. Here is the recommended follow up schedule:
Post Hair Transplant Care Follow Up Schedule
- Seven to ten days after the transplant you will have the stitches removed from the back of your head
- Three months, six months and one year after the transplant doctor will assess the transplant and the hair growth. After eight to twelve months you can ask the doctor about any future planning and if any new developments have occurred.
- To maintain a high quality data base the doctor will take photos at each follow up session. Our office will call you to remind you of your follow up appointments as needed. Feel free to call anytime.
Web Only Special: $250 Credit
We invite you to discover for yourself how incredible our hair loss solutions really are. Sign up for a free online consultation today by filling out our free online consultation form and get a $250 credit towards any of our hair restoration services.
The consultation is absolutely FREE and for your convenience you can schedule a photo consultation via phone if you can’t make it in person. Simply fill out the form to the right.
Your Free Consultation Will Provide You With:
- An price / cost estimate for treatment of your specific condition.
- An opportunity to learn about the very latest treatments available to you.
- A Personalized Future Hair loss assessment and diagnosis.
- Proven SHI® treatment options geared to your specific case & budget.
- An opportunity to discuss your hair loss with a genuine 25yr hair loss expert.
- $250 Certificate toward any of our procedureswhile supplies last*